4 Beds • 3.5 Baths • 4,356 SF • 14,378 SF Lot • VIEWS | GRANDEUR • SPANISH DETAILING • $2,499,000 SOLD
Monday, May 15, 2-5p Monday, May 22, 2-5p
LIVE IN HOLLYWOOD'S GOLDEN AGE WITH ALL OF TODAY'S CONVENIENCES
Silent movie-style drama and authenticity are in every arch, fountain, staircase, stained-glass window, and tile pattern of this 1923 Spanish-style residence. And although Norma Desmond herself could have descended the home's main stairs, today's coveted features lie beneath the vintage flourishes.
Located in The Hollywood Dell, 2285 La Granada Drive showcases the best of early-Los Angeles’s favored architectural styles including Spanish, Mediterranean, and Andalusian. Just look at famed architect Julia Morgan’s early 1920’s designs for W.R. Hearst’s guesthouses at his Hearst Castle compound and you’ll see how these design trends combined during the Spanish Revival decade (1920-1930) to produce a home like this one.
Double-height ceilings soar overhead in the main living area. A fireplace is flanked by two elongated stained-glass windows. Floor-to-ceiling South-facing windows allow maximum daylight into the space and look toward the city below. Custom hand-stained oak floors lie beneath.
The home’s formal dining room is perfect for elegant entertaining with built-in shelves for china, crystal, or other collections. Just off the dining room is the home’s library (with more built-ins), which is a great place to “retire” after dinner for conversation or a look at surrounding landscape outside of its bank of arched windows.
Another versatile living space is the house’s family room with its built-in media wall and shelves. This room is accessible from the library or from the residence’s impressive kitchen. It also has French doors out to a serene patio.
As mentioned, the home’s chef's kitchen is adjacent to the family room. It has all of today’s wish-list of custom kitchen items like two sinks, high-end stainless-steel appliances, center island, rare Kirkstone countertops, custom floor-to-ceiling cabinetry, and butler's pantry with refrigerated wine storage. In a great form-meets-function touch, windows over the main kitchen sink open to a serving bar that makes passing drinks to guests outside on the kitchen’s massive outdoor dining area a breeze. There is also room for informal eating or hanging out in the kitchen’s ample breakfast area, which also opens to a patio.
The master retreat includes an ample sitting area with arched windows to provide a respite from entertaining downstairs. Peace, quiet and solitude are augmented by romantic original windows and built-in niches. Its en-suite bathroom is the ultimate in an in-home spa-experience. The over-sized room has a soaking tub, step-in glass-enclosed spa shower, two sinks, stained-glass windows. A walk-in wardrobe provides plenty of room for storage.
Three additional guest rooms (including maid's suite with separate entrance) plus generous laundry area make this house the perfect one for a growing family or extended-stay guests.
And speaking of extended stays: Neighborhood lore maintains that former inhabitants of 2285 La Granada Drive include silent movie star Pola Negri (who was also Rudolf Valentino’s lover), previous-owner-of-record Gail Harris Getty (wife of oil scion John Paul Getty II), and current Hollywood heavyweight Robert Downey, Jr. (the Ironman reportedly rented the house for some time).
BONUS ALERT: Often the question is, “Which bedroom should be the office?” But no need for that concession here at 2285. A rooftop artist’s studio/writer's retreat/office floats high above Hollywood and provides plenty of privacy -- the perfect place for at-home work inspiration. This versatile bonus space features French doors, built-in storage, AC, skylights, and private viewing deck.
Outside the impressive home are rolling grassy lawns with mature olive and palm trees, fruit orchard, a play/lounge area with artificial grass, a 2-car garage + 1-car garage (2 off-street enclosed parking spaces plus storage), a gated motor court accommodates multiple autos, and a gated pedestrian entry. There is also plenty of room to add a pool.
2285 is close to all Hollywood, Universal City, and Studio City have to offer (see NEIGHBORHOOD tab for more info on the surrounding area’s highlights).
- Authentic Spanish, Mediterranean, and Andalusian detailing including fountains, fixtures, niches, stone work, and custom tile work
- Double-height living room with fireplace and floor-to-ceiling windows
- Custom hand-stained oak floors
- Formal dining room with built-in shelves for china, crystal, or other collections
- Library with built-in bookcases
- Family room with built-in media wall and shelves
- Chef's kitchen with two sinks, high-end stainless-steel appliances, center island, stone counters, custom floor-to-ceiling cabinetry, and butler's pantry with refrigerated wine storage
- Breakfast area with access to outdoor dining and grilling
- Master bedroom and sitting area with arched windows
- Master bathroom with soaking tub, step-in glass-enclosed spa shower, two limestone sinks, and stained-glass windows.
- Three additional guest rooms (including maid's suite with separate entrance and access to laundry room)
- Rooftop writer's retreat/office with French doors, built-in storage, AC, skylights, and private viewing deck
- Rolling grassy lawns with mature olive and palm trees
- Outdoor play area with artificial grass
- 2-car garage + 1-car garage (2 off-street enclosed parking spaces + storage)
- Gated motor court accommodates multiple autos
- Gated pedestrian entry
- Close to all Hollywood, Universal City, and Studio City have to offer